Oliver Twist Syndrome

Image courtesy of kidskintha.com

My topic for today is something that affects everyone -yes, you too! I'm sure we can all relate to those times when you think to yourself "Lord, if I just get that car, or that latest phone...my life will be transformed". After your struggle to buy the latest phone, the producers do not even allow you feel like a boss for two months when they release a newer version and add +(plus) to it or ** (star). At this point, you're thinking "If only I had waited JUST TWO months... I would have been on top of my game".  (The item you've been dying for suddenly doesn't feel special anymore meanwhile your bank account is already screaming for help). Another common scenario is wanting to grow up all through your childhood then, the moment you approach adulthood and all the responsibilities start to creep in, you start to wonder "where did my life go?". I call this "Oliver Twist Syndrome". Wanting something else and never completely satisfied by anything.

I once heard a woman say "Na wa for this life o, to marry- problem, when you marry; to born-problem, when you born; school fees-problem"! (I wish I could translate without it loosing its meaning for the non-Nigerians). You may/ may not have heard the phrase "There's a devil for every level". As humans, we are created to be insatiable. Meaning; we can never get enough of anything. We always want that new car, or new house, or... "oh; "if I can just lay my hands on this amount of money", "if I can just get married" or "if only I had a better job". No matter how many new, updated things we get, it will never be enough because it is how we were created to interact with our world. It's not exactly a problem with you (except you choose to make it your problem by joining the fast-paced world in competing). Our satisfaction is supposed to come from within.

The only way we can truly find the satisfaction we want is when we have a relationship with God. Once that relationship is intact, everything else falls in place. Having a relationship with God brings about contentment, it brings peace when you have nothing and hope that someday, somehow, everything will be fine. Even when things do not make sense, you have the confidence that one day everything will eventually turn out to be a blessing in disguise. 

So; on how to deal with Oliver Twist Syndrome, I already mentioned having a relationship with God. There'll always be someone richer than you, someone prettier than you and someone with a better car than you. Be contented! Life would be boring if we all have everything we want. Life is not a competition;overtaking is allowed. Stop trying so hard to keep up. (Nothing wrong with wanting the good things of life and if you can afford it, sure thing!) however, do not try to live your life according to other people's standards. Haven't you heard; "stop trying to fit in when you were created to stand out"!

My next advise on dealing with this killer syndrome is; see every stage of your life as a phase that'll pass so; enjoy it while it lasts! One day it will be all but a memory to laugh about. Enjoy your childhood, enjoy your car, enjoy being single (I mean... what better time to invest in yourself than when you're single?) just make the most of every moment. Do not allow social media dictate what level of your life you should be at a point in time. A lot of people hide their insecurities and problems behind their money and beautiful pictures. Be wise!

On a final note: I'll leave you with one of my favourite quotes from my dearest housemate. (shout out to you 'Koko-Pops' :*) "Something must spoil". If you're Nigerian, you probably already understand this. It's just a reminder that no one is perfect and you cannot find happiness in people and material things. True happiness comes from within. It comes from knowing God.
 
keep sending your messages to paulineodoje@yahoo.com or paulineodoje@gmail.com if you need someone to share your trying situation with, don't die in silence; email me. If you would like to share your victory story on how you overcame a difficult phase, also email me. Your story may be the hope someone needs to stay alive. Also, stay tuned for a story next week.

P.S:
Shout out to my Lil Bro; Isaac P. whose birthday is the on the14th! Love you forever and a day!

Thanks for stopping by; Have a great rest-of-the week!
Love,
Pee.

Comments

  1. This is wonderful dear. One thing I have learned in life is to be content with what I have. I didn't come into this world to compete with anybody. Those who live their lives based on other people's standards do not go far in life, and they are not always happy or satisfied coz they can't meet up to those standards. Indeed our sufficiency is in God. Great topic, and great lesson learned.

    Emmanuel Essien

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Emma. I'm glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dearest Debby, what more can i say... It feels great reading anything u write. With info as these life gets even more meaningful as well as beautiful. Keep sharing! Luv u. Muah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts